Monday, April 25, 2011

Anzac Day Service

I took my grandson to the dawn Anzac Service this morning, held at 6am at the Hobart Cenotaph.  It was a chilly morning with the sharp breeze rolling off the Derwent River.  Hundreds of people attended, many with small children like Zachary ensuring that the memory of those brave soldiers’ lives on in the minds of Australians into the future. 

A man nearby quietly sobbed as the “Ode of Remembrance” was spoken, his friend comforted him.  After the service I noticed him laying a wreath and his friends quietly surrounding him to show their support.  The ode is taken from the poem, “For the Fallen” was written by Laurence Binyon whilst sitting on the cliffs of Gallipoli in 1914.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
“Lest we Forget”

Straight after the “Last Post” is played by a lone bugler followed by a minutes’ silence which for me is the most moving part of the Service.
Zach loves going to the service and we chatted about the meaning and ceremony of it all afterwards.

  Carolyn



1 comment:

  1. Hi Carolyn, it would have been a great morning for the service. I wish I went. I've been to a couple and they're very moving. I feel a bit emotional just thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete